Sunday, March 1, 2015

To My Children

Have I mentioned that I work at a hospital? And not just any hospital, the "flag ship" hospital of a nationally recognized healthcare organization. It's pretty great working at a hospital like this, largely because of the amazing people I work with. For example, the manager for my department this fall was head-hunted and recruited to Stanford, and the administration has taken the last four months to find someone qualified enough to fill her shoes. I got to hear about different candidates as they were interviewed, all of which were coincidentally women and had extremely impressive resumes including multiple graduate degrees, working extensively in research, etc. And those were people that were rejected. Good news is, the new manager I think is going to be pretty fantastic. That's not the point of this story, though.

The point is that whenever I go to work and am around these high-caliber individuals, it tends to periodically send me into downward spirals of self doubt. Although I am still working a couple of days a week, my resume looks pretty unimpressive compared to these women. And not only is my resume anemic, I don't have a clue what is going on in the news or politics, I can't sew, all the toilets in my house are dirty, and some days I'm still un-showered and in sweats and it's 2pm. Let me just say it can be a little discouraging at times.

Which is why I like keeping this blog. Because even though most days it feels like I haven't accomplished a single notable task by the end of the day, every few weeks I look through my pictures and think, "WOW! Look at these amazing boys! Look at what fun we've had! Look at how they are growing! Look at this beautiful little life we're having!" And then I remember that there will be time down the road to worry about things like building my resume. For now I can be happy and even joyful building a life, building our lives.

So instead of ladder climbing or scrubbing toilets, I've been pursuing my own studies in motherhood. I'm learning all kinds of things:

Science. Baking soda and vinegar volcano!

Medicine. Poor Miles got roseola the day we got home from Hawaii.

Literature. Check out that hot teacher!

Social (skills) studies. Playing with friends Lyla and Mac at "the jumpy place"

Health and Hygiene

Art. We made homemade play dough for the first time


Self Defense. Yes, that is a giant nerf gun he's holding. He's got to defend himself from Miles somehow...

Fashion 

And everyone's favorite: Recess









To My Children

You are the trip I did not take, you are the pearls I could not buy,
you are my blue Italian lake, you are my piece of foreign sky.

You are my Honolulu moon, you are the book I did not write,
you are my heart's unuttered tune, you are a candle in my night.

You are the flower beneath the snow, in my dark sky a bit of blue,
answering disappointment's blow with "I am happy! I have you!"

-Anne Campbell



No comments:

Post a Comment