Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tender Mercies

I have been thinking for a long time I need to start writing down the "tender mercies" I so constantly experience in my life. You know, those wonderful, sweet little blessings that we often receive and then quickly forget. I feel like my life is constantly flooded with those, and I need to do better remembering them and being grateful for them. So here are a few recent tender mercies from my life:

1) Last week I went to bed on Sunday night with just a tickle in my throat, but when I woke up Monday morning I felt like death itself, exhausted with a fever, sore throat, and cough. Somehow I managed to survive and care for Miles for two days, just barely. (Poor Miles had to spend all day just laying on the bed next to me because I felt too awful to get up for more than a few minutes. We were a very pitiful pair, and unfortunately law school did not allow for Benjamin to spend much extra time to care for us.) Tuesday night I finally got desperate and called my mom, who came to the rescue. She was a tender mercy incarnate! She came Wednesday morning and stayed two days, and did everything imaginable to help: she made delicious meals, watched Miles constantly so I could rest, went grocery shopping, did laundry, etc. I don't know how I would have survived without her. I am certain I recovered more quickly because of her care. This was a HUGE tender mercy.

2) Miles has been healthy and did not contract whatever heinous virus I had. This was truly a miracle considering that he was around me constantly before my mom came. I don't know how he managed to escape the germs I was undoubtedly spraying everywhere when I coughed. It truly was a miracle and a very real blessing because whatever virus I had very easily could have put a baby in the hospital--I was SO sick.

3) I was scheduled to work Friday night, and even though I was still not feeling great, I really felt like I needed to go in because I have no paid-time off due to my maternity leave last year/part time status/working less than usual because the hospital has been slow. The previous several shifts I had worked had been EXTREMELY stressful and busy, and I was worried that if I had another night like that at work that it might wear me out and get me sick again since I was not totally well yet. Before I went to work I prayed that I would have an easy night so that I would not get worn out and sick again, and prayed that I could care for my patients well. A miracle truly happened that night. I had the easiest PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) assignment ever. Seriously. Both kids without contagious germs, basically there because they needed closer monitoring for the night. It was truly the easiest assignment I have ever had in the PICU, and I am absolutely convinced that I was given that assignment as an answer to my prayer.

And because it wouldn't be a good post without pictures:

Miles with Auntie Tina. He LOVES his aunties!


Sweet sleeping baby. Don't be deceived by how peaceful he looks, though. He is teething now and has had the temperament of a baby wild cat the past few days!

The boys looking dapper after church this week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley-
    I love your blog!!! i finally got mine going! I love Miles-he is so cute!!! He looks just like you and a little like his daddy too! I totally agree about the tender mercies! I am so glad that your mom could help you! We need to get together-maybe next week! Dominic just started coughing so I may need some tender mercies this week! Lots of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I login and look at these pictures everyday. You can tell Miles that his Auntie Amy has not forgotten about him :)

    ReplyDelete