Whew--it has been a BUSY past 6 weeks for us! Here is what we've been up to, in a somewhat chronological order...
-Benjamin lost his job, which was a COMPLETE shock. He had been working as an intern at a law firm since last spring, and had been lead to believe that it would probably be turning into a permanent position as an attorney after graduation. However, the firm instead hired an attorney with 5 years of experience in the field and let Benjamin go. A sign of the economy I guess...why hire a new grad when you can hire someone with years of experience and pay them what you would usually pay a new grad? At least that's my theory as to why things happened the way they did. At least they said they would be happy to give Benjamin a good reference.
-Benjamin's internship ending of course has led to some changes for our family the past few weeks. Benjamin's free time is now consumed with filling out applications for new jobs. We're trying to be hopeful about everything--at least the school has been providing a fairly steady stream of firms looking for applications. He's mostly applying for jobs in Utah, as networking is easiest here, but he has also put in a few applications in Michigan, so all you Michigan relatives keep us in your prayers if you want to see more of us! I've been busier than usual, as well, as I have been working extra shifts at the hospital to help us sort of financially prepare in case our "rainy days" last longer than we originally planned.
-Along with work, work, work, we have of course been making time for
fun, too. At the end of January we had a nice trip to Elko to hear Amy's
mission farewell talk at church. She did an AMAZING job, and although I was a little sad to say good-bye to her last week as she entered the Missionary Training Center, I know she will be a fantastic missionary. She is just naturally a very spiritual person, and I know the people of Moscow will be blessed to have her in their lives for the next 18 months.
-Another highlight during January was that our little bug turned 18 months. At his 18 month check-up his pediatrician confirmed for us what we already knew: he is tall for his age and he is a child prodigy. Ok, fine, the pediatrician may not have used the word "prodigy" exactly, but when Miles could correctly point to several of his body parts when named and say several words, I sure felt like I was the mother of a prodigy. It seriously is so much fun to watch Miles progress and learn. He can say dozens of words now (all kinds of foods, body parts, clothing, animals, toys, etc.), he has learned to ask for things he wants by saying "please," and he will "read" me books, naming what's in each picture. He never ceases to amaze me! I'm sure every parent feels this way, but I just can't help but feeling like surely I have an extra special boy.
-An extra special part of turning 18 months was that Miles was able to start attending Nursery! For those of you unfamiliar with the LDS church, nursery is the class for children ages 18 months to 3 years where the kids get to go have a little church lesson, music time, and play time together while their parents are in Sunday school classes for adults. Miles LOVES it--no separation anxiety whatsoever. He can't wait to leap out of my arms when I drop him off each week, and he cries when I come pick him up. And I have to admit I absolutely love being able to drop him off there--I have gotten more out of church the past couple of weeks than I have in the past year since I can really listen again without trying to keep Miles entertained and quiet. Here he is all dressed for church:
Other news for our family is that my Dad moved to Texas in January to do training and preparation with his unit until their deployment to Afghanistan in May. We were fortunate to get to see him this past weekend when he made a quick trip back to Utah, and we are already looking forward to Easter when we will get to see him one final time before his unit deploys. The whole family (minus Amy who is in the MTC) made it to our house, in fact, and it was lovely to see them all. In spite of our uncertain future, it is such a comfort to know that family will always be there supporting us and cheering us on!
No comments:
Post a Comment