First, there is my own wonderful dad. He is amazing! He is kind and generous, funny and fun-loving. When most adult men might be looking for some "guy time" (especially one who works with women all the time!) he always made sure there was time for my sisters and I and invited us along on whatever squirrly excursion he might have planned. I cannot ever remember there being a time that I didn't want to spend time with him if he had any free (although he might remember otherwise :) I can remember on multiple occasions having adventures with just him, whether hiking, boating, snowboarding, camping, or just running errands around town or working on projects at the house. He always took that time to talk to me and listen, and was a modest giver of good advice but never condescending or overbearing. He made me feel valued and smart and showed sincere interest in my life and interests and took time out of his busy schedule to always come to sports events, concerts, awards ceremonies, etc. He always encouraged me to do my best and try new things and to love learning, and taught me that it is okay to make mistakes. He taught me to have courage and faith in myself, and taught me the phrase "I think I can!" is powerful stuff if you really live by it. He taught me that working hard for a strong mind and strong body is important, but also taught me that recreation, a sense of humor, and a little indulgence are essential as well ("First things first!"). Even when I was younger he always treated me with respect and showed his trust in me, but was firm when I crossed the line (which I plan to try to emulate with our boys). He is quick to give hugs and always tells me that he is proud of me and that he loves me. I don't know why the Lord blessed me to become his daughter, but I am so glad that he did! Daddy, thank you (and of course Mother...that is another post :) for filling my childhood with joy and teaching me the pattern for a joyful life!
| April 2011 |
Then of course there is this wonderful dad, the father of my sweet boys. Although the baby stage is hard for him, Benjamin was meant to be the father of sons! He is great at rough housing with Miles (thank goodness, because otherwise Tommy and I become the objects of Miles's wrestling) and makes a point to play with him every day even if he doesn't have a lot of time to spare. He is great at encouraging Miles's imagination with the elaborate games they play, and is also teaching him to be a critical thinker and ask lots of questions. He is working so hard right now and spending long hours at the office so that I can stay home full-time with the boys, and I know it is all because he loves the boys and I and wants the best for us. Although he has been a father for only three short years, I know some day our boys will have as many wonderful things to say about Benjamin as I do about my own dad!
![]() |
| At the new office last week |
As I was thinking about what I wanted to write in this post, I couldn't help but think about my sweet father-in-law as well. Although Patrick and I have not spent a whole lot of time together because of living so far apart, he has always been so kind and loving to the boys and I in spite of the fact we do not see much of each other. I am very thankful for this, but above all I am grateful for the wonderful dad that Patrick is to Benjamin. Many times Benjamin has shared with me life lessons that he learned from his dad, and I know that his dad has been a rock of wisdom and encouragement for him. They are very close, and I know that a very large reason that Benjamin is a wonderful father and husband is because he has a great model to emulate. So, thanks, Patrick, for helping teach Benjamin to be a great dad!
| Christmas 2010 |

No comments:
Post a Comment