Thursday, August 29, 2013

August highlights

This month....

Benjamin got sick with viral meningitis. Not fun! The poor guy had a horrible headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, and felt generally crummy for several days and had to spend 3 days in and out of the ER to get tests run and receive IV antibiotics and pain and nausea meds. Although it was a miserable experience for Benjamin and somewhat stressful for our family, these were the silver linings: 1) It was viral, not bacterial. Whew! That was a scare! 2) I was reminded yet again how grateful I am to live in a place where we have access to modern medicine. 3) I was reminded how much our ward members and extended family love and care for our little family. Several people helped watch the boys during the week, we received numerous texts and calls checking on Benjamin, and Miles enjoyed a trip with Aunt Cami and Uncle Sean to Elko to stay for the whole weekend. We felt a true outpouring of kindness and love. 4) I was reminded that the Lord is mindful of our every need. We were feeling rather disheartened by how expensive all the medical bills will likely be from this (it seems like every time we start making headway saving for a house something comes up that needs the money more), when just a few days after Benjamin's recovery we received a letter from my old employer informing me that I had a pension I was unaware of and they just wanted to basically know where to send the check. Miracle, seriously!



We have played outside a LOT as is the usual. Although Miles has mastered his scooter, of course we still take lots of time to stop and smell the flowers (literally). I recently read an article online about a mother who had a sort of "dawdler" child who liked to go through life at her own deliberate pace and how the mother had to learn to see that as a blessing. I could not help but think of Miles in reading it. He teaches me how to find joy in every little aspect of our lives. To him there is always time to appreciate a beautiful rose or study an interesting rock or ask why rain happens.



This baby is every bit as beautiful as his brother and getting bigger by the day. He is very observant and loves to watch the world around him. More on him to come!



Miles enjoyed having Benjamin feel back to his usual self. Miles really misses it when he doesn't get his dad time--I don't know how single moms do it! This boy needs his dad!




Tommy started eating baby food! Or at least sampling it. He is not a fan at all and spits it all out and gags, so I am going slow with it. I really hate the puree stage, anyway. 


Miles has really been enjoying all the many fun and generous birthday gifts he received. His newly found love is Legos, which Benjamin is also really excited about since he liked to play with them as a boy. Now all I have to do is keep Tommy from choking on any of the thousand tiny pieces laying around... 



We spend our share of time cuddling together in the morning, the boys and I. Even though the morning comes faster than I often want it to, their sweet faces make it worth it. Tonight as I was tucking Miles into bed he told me, "We are honeys." 


We went to Benjamin's work barbecue. I at least recognized the governor though I was a little embarrassed that I had no clue who some of the other important government figures were when they introduced themselves.


Benjamin got to try on the Lone Ranger's hat and was invited to a private screening of the movie that we of course didn't go to because I am too big of a worry wart to leave Tommy . The movie was filmed here and the hat was given to the governor as a gift by the film crew. One of the random perks of working for the governor I guess. 


And last of all, this adorable, sweet, sweet babe turned six months old this week. He is such a joy! He is rolling over a lot these days, scoots a fair amount on his belly, and is getting pretty close to being able to sit up alone. He sleeps through the night about 30% of the time, and most of the rest of the time he wakes up just once and easily goes back to sleep. He is a mellow little man with an easily content personality. He continues to be in love Miles and watches him constantly and is quickest to laugh or grin for him. He fits so perfectly into our family and I am so excited to get to keep watching him grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment