Monday, January 17, 2011

Cheating death (or at least Father Time)

Tonight I feel like I got an extra bonus of 24 hours of life, like I cheated Father Time or something. I was supposed to have to work tonight (with the new semester I'm working every Monday night and every either Friday or Saturday night), but when I showed up at the hospital I was told a staffing error had been made and they didn't actually need me, so I was sent home. This happens occasionally, that I am scheduled to work but they cancel me or put me on call due to over staffing (they call me at home to tell me this usually, though; tonight was a mistake). Whenever it does happen, and I get to stay home instead of working, it always feels childishly exciting, like I've somehow gotten out of being grounded or something. Don't get me wrong, I like my job, and we definitely need the money from my work, but getting to stay home is so nice, and it is even more appreciated when you thought you were going to be in the NICU on bath night. Hahaha. Has this ever happened to you, when you thought you were going to have to do some large, time consuming task, and then found out you didn't have to after all?

Anyway, freedom tonight! Usually, I would celebrate with a treat, but considering I have eaten the better part of a cherry pie in <24 hours, I won't be going out to get something for us. The pie is left over from Sunday dinner last night. We had a friend of Benjamin's from law school (Levi) and his wife (Linley) over for dinner and games. We played Settlers of Catan and it was super fun. Even though I was terrible at the game, I really enjoy it. I kept cracking up because Linley works with handicapped people, and she kept being so sweet and patient and prompting me along that I could just see her in work mode completely--there I was, just another handicapped adult who needed their hand held.

Miles was very good through our little dinner party (read: slept through it). Benjamin found an awesome track of white noise that we now play for Miles every night, and that has allowed us a lot more freedom to speak above a whisper after Miles is in bed. We were sitting in the kitchen (which is less than 10 feet from Miles' bedroom door) and made all kinds of noise and the only time Miles made a peep was when his white noise had shut off.

In general, Miles is doing great sleeping these days. He usually wakes up only once at night (if you don't count his 9pm "top-off" that he seems to like), if at all! He actually sleeps through the night now probably about 1 in 3 nights. It's awesome! So all my friends out there that have new babies (there are several of you!), it does get better! I didn't believe it myself when people told me that before, but it's true!

Wednesday is Miles' next check-up with Dr. Lam. Can you believe it!?! He'll be six months old that day! Hopefully I'll post again then...with pictures!

1 comment:

  1. 6 months already, wow. Sleep is amazing isn't it? I remember the first time we slept all night. I felt like a new person. Glad you got some time off!

    ReplyDelete