Saturday, September 24, 2011

Discovery Gateway

This week Miles and I headed to the Discovery Gateway Children's Museum for the first time with our friends Miss Rachel and Lyla. What a hit! We'll definitely be returning again. Of course I forgot the camera but was able to snap a few half-decent pictures with my phone.



No surprise, the water play area seemed to be Miles's favorite part of the museum.

Although he did enjoy the "grocery store," particularly sampling the plastic produce.




And then there was the farm...again Miles made sure to sample anything that looked remotely like food.



And to finish off our trip, he drove the Life Flight helicopter




The most exciting thing for me about the museum was that it seemed to (temporarily) get Miles more interested in walking. All the other kids there were walking and running around and he seemed to want to keep up and kept making attempts to walk. I was hoping this would be a permanent change, but he is back to his usual lifting his feet into the air or crying when I try to stand him on the ground to walk. He spends a fair amount of time around 19 month old Lyla who runs around like a champ, and I also take him to the park regularly where there are kids running around, but he still doesn't seem interested much in walking. Any suggestions on how to encourage him to walk? (And yes, I've already heard that I shouldn't wish he could walk, but he is 14 months old and already gets into absolutely everything so I'm not sure how walking could be any worse. And the kid weighs at least 25 pounds (and feels like he weighs 50)--my arms are tired! It would be nice if he could at least toddle between the car and the playground!)

Anyway, Grammie asked if I could post him attempting to walk, and I just spent the last twenty minutes attempting to upload a video clip, and for the life of me cannot get it to work. Grrr... Sorry, no video this time. I'll have Benjamin look at it if he ever finishes the paper that he's writing.

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I remember going there as a child :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can hardly believe how much Miles is starting to look more like a tiny kid and less like a baby.

    He loved the water exhibit, eh? Reason #4,792 of why my nephew and I get along so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like fun-love the Michigan shirt.

    ReplyDelete