Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Photoless fun

I know blogs are generally not very interesting without photos, but now Benjamin is back in school our photographer is gone. I'll just have to try to sneak some photos of Miles alone, which is rather difficult because he usually either tries to grab the camera the minute he sees it or else attempts to destroy something while I'm busy.

Recent things I wish I had pictures of:

-Miles helping with chores! He has an ear infection currently (yes, another), which always makes him grumpy and clingy. I needed to get some weeding done, though, so I brought him outside and just set him on my lap. He'd usually be crawling off exploring but this time he was happy just to sit with me and pick at the grass. We looked at snails, rolley-polleys, different leaves, flowers, etc., and even got some weeding done. It's slow going doing it this way but so enjoyable. This week he also helped with dishes. One of my friends who is an awesome momma gave me the idea. I just stood him on a chair and gave him a pot full of soapy water in the sink and his bottle brush and he was entertained for a good 20 minutes while I cleaned up. I hope he's still happy to do chores with me in a few years!

-Visiting the aquarium! Sandy (just south of Salt Lake City) has a little aquarium that we bought a season pass to and checked out for the first time today. If you've ever been to a large aquarium like in Seattle or Monterrey you probably wouldn't be too impressed by our local aquarium, but Miles thought it was amazing! Or so it appeared. He was pointing everywhere looking this-way and that-way and babbling like crazy. My favorite part was where they have an exhibit where you can touch some of the different sea animals like starfish and sea anemones. Miles is getting big enough that he was a little hesitant to touch them at first but he ended up touching everything and looking up at me with delight after he he touched each one. We actually went to the aquarium back in May in Long Beach, CA, which is a much larger, nicer aquarium, but at the time Miles was only mildly interested in looking around. He has grown up so much over the summer! It makes me so excited for the years ahead with him of re-discovering the world.

-Having fun with family! This past weekend Tina was in town for work, and her boyfriend Shaelan came along, and the weekend before that my parents were in town. Yes, my parentSSS! My dad is back from Afghanistan! And he's not going to Iraq anymore like he had originally been told! We don't know when or where he'll be sent next, but for now he's back home! My family is so dear to me. There is nothing I would rather do than spend time with them, even if our time is spent merely doing nothing together. (Funny story about Miles that happened while spending time with family...For my mom's birthday we went to a Brazilian steakhouse for dinner where they pound a drum really loud when they sing guests happy birthday. Every time this happened while we were there Miles went crazy, waving his arms in the air and jumping around with a wild look in his eye. Maybe he'll be a drummer instead of a guitarist like Benjamin hopes.)

-Miles learning to walk! The kid can totally do it, he just is really timid and won't. Occasionally you can distract him and get him to take a solo step or two, but most the time as soon as you take away your hand he panics and sits down and starts to crawl. We bought him a little walker sort of toy last week to encourage him to walk with it and not with us. It's hilarious watching him walk with it.

Hopefully pictures to follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment