I started this post a couple of weeks ago, but we've been up to so many fun things I just couldn't find the time to finish it until now. But there has been some big changes in our family that I want to make sure I write about. You've already all heard the exciting news about Benjamin's new job as a staff attorney for the Governor, but I just have to say it again: WOO-HOOO! We are so thrilled! Because of the long process of Benjamin working toward getting licensed over the last year, it was hard to believe it when all of a sudden the great job offer he had been waiting for had arrived. I am so so proud of him and all the years of hard work he has put in to arrive at this point. And really, the job is amazing and truly and answer to prayers. One of my favorite things about it is that it only requires him to work about 40 hours a week except during the legislature session (as apposed to the as many as 60 to 80 hours that some new attorneys have to work) which will be a huge blessing to our family. I seriously couldn't survive without his help every evening and on weekends, or at least would be a grumpy mess without it. (Mother, how did you do it all those years with Daddy working ridiculously long hours???) Not to mention all the other perks of the job like the benefits package, great work experience, and rubbing shoulders with some pretty powerful people in government. So we are just feeling like we hit the jackpot with this job. Way to go, Babe! You're making our dreams come true!
Once we found out that Benjamin landed his new job, we knew there was finally the potential for me to leave my job and stay home with the boys full time. Even though that is something I have always wanted to do, I actually was hesitant to quit my job. It has been the financial rock that has kept our family stable for the last five years so the thought of cutting ties completely with it was scary, plus we knew that we would be able to save money for a house and pay off student loans much more quickly with me working, not to mention the fact that I did generally enjoy my job. So first, I decided I just would go to working one shift a week. But Tommy was crying for 2 to 3 hours every night that I would go to work in spite of Benjamin's best efforts to calm him and put him to bed, so that was it--we decided to tighten our belts and I put in my two weeks notice that I was leaving my job. And now those two weeks are more than up and I am a full-time momma! And after having been home for two straight weeks now, I have to say I am so glad that we made the leap of faith and decided that it was time for me to stay home. I absolutely love it! Although there were many wonderful things about working at Primary Children's Medical Center, being with my own kids is even better. They are wonderful! Even on a hard day when Miles is being a stinker and Tommy doesn't want to sleep they bring so much joy to me. I am so excited to devote more of my time to filling our sweet boys' hearts, minds, and lives with the best I have to give instead of having to devote my energy else-where. The time that I am spending with them is undoubtedly higher quality because I am not exhausted from night shifts or emotionally drained from hard patients or stressed because of work requirements or rushed because our schedule has to include everything thing that has to get done before I head to work. Like I said, I liked my job, but being a nurse requires a lot of you! Anyway, I just feel so blessed that Benjamin's career is going to allow me to do this and I want our kids to know someday that this decision was made with a lot of thought and consideration and that they are truly more important to us than any thing else. So here's to being a stay at home mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment