As usual September has been a month full of celebrating since there are so many birthdays in the Johnson family that all fall this month. First there was my amazing mother's birthday at the end of August. Would you ever in a million years guess that this beautiful woman is a grandmother of three? I love this picture of her. If I look half as good as she does and am still half as smart, kind, and cheerful after my kids are grown I will be amazed--my hair is falling out in literal handfuls since Tommy was born, I can never remember things without writing them down anymore, and Miles has a way of trying my patience in a way that makes me wonder how I ever considered myself "laid-back" before.
We celebrated her birthday at our house and I made the Onofrio meatballs and the cake below. It was definitely the tastiest cake I have ever made, if I do say so myself.
Next came my dad's birthday. We actually got to enjoy seeing him a few extra times at the beginning of the month since he was staying in the valley to "play army" as he says. Miles helped me make this amazing pie. He seriously loves to bake and always insists that we play that we are working in a bakery. He especially loved making this pie because it entailed using the apple peeler/slicer machine. He is very interested in anything mechanical so turning the handle on the crank and watching the apples go through the process of getting peeled, sliced, and cored by the contraption fascinated him.
Unfortunately I missed taking any pictures the night of Daddy's birthday when he came over for his pie and steak (food is a seriously big deal around here), but luckily not too many days later we went out for Amy's birthday for some tasty Mexican food. Doesn't my dad look great, too? He will fit right in this fall with all the co-eds at UW!
I also had to show off this picture of darling Cami taken that night. She is so pretty with her sweet baby Eli. Motherhood is very becoming of her.
Of course we celebrated my birthday, too. My mom came over and made me a phenomenal German chocolate cake (the best I've ever had) and she and my dad took us all out to eat. A great way to kick-off the beginning of my last year in my 20s! Besides all the birthday celebrations, we also had a few other fun highlights this month. Benjamin had his friend Clint visit from Michigan and took him to beautiful Temple Square. Benjamin is always so good about sharing the gospel with people in a way that is welcoming but not over-bearing.
Over Labor Day weekend we also hiked up to the Mount Timpanogos caves. It was the first time we have really been hiking with both the boys, and it was really fun. This adorable little man started out in the baby back-pack.
But this big boy ended up in it while I carried Tommy in the Moby wrap. Miles was obviously too big for the backpack, but we had been assigned a specific time to arrive at the cave entrance at the top of the trail and were hiking much slower than the "average" time the park ranger said we should allot ourselves, so we had to carry him the last little way up the trail so we could race to the top. And then on the way down he ended up being tired so we let him ride some more. Even though we had fun the whole family was exhausted by the end of the day! I remember being so glad when it was bed-time that night, not just for the boys but for me, too!
We made it to the top, though! And in time for our tour. I stayed out and fed Tommy while Benjamin and Miles followed the ranger through the caves. Afterward, though, Benjamin told me that he had to laugh because we had made a special effort to plan this fun day and while they were inside the caves, Miles said to him, "This is boring." Guess we may need to wait a few years for our kids to really appreciate stuff like this.
In other exciting family news, Tommy now has two teeth! This was the best photo I could get to capture them. He and Miles have both been sick on and off for the past month, and at his six month check-up the poor guy had an ear infection. The pediatrician wrote a prescription for antibiotics for it but encouraged me to wait a couple of days and see if he seemed to be doing better, but he was super grouchy so I filled the prescription and started him on it the next day. But then 24 hours later, a tooth popped out, and then the next day another tooth was out! No wonder he was so unhappy. I was so excited to see those two little teeth, though. What a big boy!
It was our ward's annual Fire and Ice Festival (think giant block party) which featured Benjamin and his buddies from church playing in their band The Pro-bonos. Although they had some difficulties performing due to lack of practice, Miles really enjoyed dancing to the music.
Miles has been into using the camera lately and took this picture of Tommy and I the night of the festival. Pretty good for a three year old I think. I am going to actually keep encouraging him because I would occasionally like a photo of myself for the records.
In other less exciting family news, Miles finally got a haircut. This picture cracks me up. He had been telling me for weeks that he wanted his hair to be "shaggy," and I didn't feel up to battling him so I was just going to let it grow in spite of the fact it is wiry and truly shaggy looking when long, but Benjamin talked him into getting it cut. He doesn't look pleased with his decision here, though, does he.
Tommy has also been working on more solid foods. He doesn't care much for the purees but loves to gnaw on slices of fruit or bread. This picture makes my heart melt. Watch out ladies--when this boy finally learns to feed himself and walk he is going to be a heart-breaker!
We have been having more adventures in potty-training including several road-side pit stops. Miles is definitely not the child that potty-trains in a weekend like you hear about. If he is thoroughly potty-trained by Christmas I think I will be shocked and relieved. All I can say is at least little boys are easier to take potty on the side of the road.
And of course we have made lots of time for playing out-side. We have thoroughly enjoyed the lingering summer days but I think fall is officially here now. Miles and I will both be disappointed when it is too cold for him to spend hours in the back yard like this:
Don't plan to see many more photos of this sweet bald little head outside, either because it will be going from sun-hat to beanie mode soon!











My, looking at my birthday cake makes me crave it....nice post with some of my favorite people. Glad for your update :-).
ReplyDeletePS- Daddy "is a fox", like we used to say- guess now-a-days it would be "he's hot" - great photos!
ReplyDelete