We checked out the Davis County Fair for the first time. It was a pretty small fair, but really the perfect size to take the boys to.
This was right before Benjamin turned green and realized he may be too old for fair rides.
This was by far my favorite part of the fair. For $1 you could get a little cup of shredded carrots and go into a large penned area filled with sheep, goats, ponies, rabbits, etc. and feed and pet the animals. It was so fun watch the boys interact with them, and Tommy was especially darling. He grinned and shouted and giggled while he pet the animals and was just in heaven. I think he is officially an animal lover.
It also was our Stake party while Grandpa Pat was here, and I was grateful he was willing to venture out into the heat with us for it because the boys had a blast there. There was great food (which I didn't have to cook), shaved ice, a DJ, games for the kids, and two bouncy houses. One of the best Stake events I've been to.
Miles had to show off his dance and hula-hoop moves. I seriously love his playful enthusiasm!

Not to be out-done by his brother, Tommy had to get in on the hula-hoop/dancing action. I myself found that I was no better (and possibly worse) than Tommy at doing the hula-hoop.
The final excursion of Grandpa Pat's visit was a trip out to the giant sporting goods store Scheels. I opted to go get my hair done instead of joining the boys for this outing, but apparently there are all kinds of animal displays and fish tanks and even an indoor Ferris wheel.

I'm sure at this point you are wondering, "What the heck is wrong with Miles's eye?" Well, the poor boy was bit by a dog the morning before the Scheels trip, and I may as well tell you the whole story because everyone (including strangers) has asked about it. We were out for a walk in our neighborhood and ventured down an unfamiliar street up the hill from our house to watch some diggers working. A friendly neighbor, Diane, came out and said hello, and while we were chatting both her dog (Max) and another neighbor's dog (Cricket) came out. She introduced us to both dogs and the boys were petting them, when all of a sudden Cricket snapped at Miles. It gave him a pretty good gash along his eyebrow as well as two smaller ones just below his eye. It was truly a miracle that the eye itself was completely untouched. It initially bled a fair amount and Diane's near-hysteria over it sent Miles into hysterical crying. Luckily it stopped bleeding easily with holding a little pressure, and I washed it out and put antibiotic ointment on it. I have realized that I am that typical nurse mom that won't take my kid to the ER unless they are practically ready for the PICU, because the truth is he probably could have used a stitch or two in the top gash to help make his scar smaller. Luckily Miles doesn't seem to mind that he will have a scar, and he told me the other day, "Now I just need a dog to bite me on my other eye and I will have really cool matching scars!" Umm, sorry Miles, I would really prefer a dog never bites you again, even if it means you can't have matching cool scars. Anyway, a funny tid-bit from this story is that his injuries were not quite as severe looking as they appear on the Ferris wheel picture, but the top wound oozed a little blood after I initially cleaned it. Benjamin didn't want to upset Miles by cleaning it up again before they went to Scheels, so Miles was walking around the place looking like he literally just got punched in the face or something. I can only imagine what the people thought who saw him there. Overall though, he was a very brave boy and his run-in with the dog was the only rough morning of Grandpa's visit!
Thanks for coming, Grandpa Pat!









No comments:
Post a Comment