Monday, November 30, 2015

November

It's now August 2016, and I'm finally getting around to catching up on the blog. The past 9 months have been a whirlwind with many soaring highs and a few excruciating lows. November 2015 was one of those excruciating lows. Back in August 2015 Benjamin started a new job working for the state working for the Department of Workforce Services. It seemed like a great opportunity that would allow growth that just couldn't have happened staying in his previous position at the Governor's office. So he jumped into his new job, only to find that the attorney who was supposed to be training him basically had no interest in helping him, and even worse had an extremely difficult personality that lead to conflict after conflict with Benjamin. After a series of unfortunate events that I won't get into, Benjamin found himself the week of Thanksgiving being told that he was being seriously demoted to a non-attorney position and moved to a different floor. He was devastated emotionally, and it was frightening for our family since his salary was being cut by 50% (not to mention the fact in entirely ruined Thanksgiving, thus the lack of pictures). The timing also was terrible since it was right before the holidays (i.e. there were absolutely no places hiring) and I was 7 months pregnant. Our little boys were my source of constant joy throughout all this, although I admit that I often found myself more short tempered with them from the simmering underlying stress. (I frequently feel discouraged by how it seems human nature to take out unrelated stress on those we love most. It is a goal of my life to learn to direct frustration away from them). I started working extra days and my mom kindly helped watch the boys some to help us save money (I pocket only about 1/3 of my wages by the time we pay taxes and childcare, so any help watching the kids was huge). I will tell you there is a happy ending to this story that I will share when the blog catches up, but just know that November 2015 was a stressful time for our family.  But life went on, and here's what we were up to during that stressful month:


These guys helped rake leaves. Miles is getting big enough that he actually makes a real contribution in getting the job done! 


My little engineers took apart some more electronics. I have to give Benjamin total credit for their interest in this activity. I love seeing them bent over to get a closer inspection of the parts inside.



Look at this kid's face! How can you not feel joy looking at him, no matter what else is going on in life?


He thinks he doesn't need a nap these days, but guess what, Bubs, you do! (Although lately he likes to tell me that his name is Tommy, not Bubs!"


Fort building, another favorite activity to fill the chilly afternoons.


No comments:

Post a Comment